Pages

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Ask me about year 2017

Happy new year 2018!

As usual, I will complete a "Ask me about year (previous)" post so here it is. Before I start, I revisited my previous posts first just to relive some memories and see how much have changed in the past 6 years.

Year 2012 The year of failure and learning how to overcome it
Year 2013 The year of understanding how much grit goes into chasing dreams
Year 2014 The year of independence and understanding mental health
Year 2015 The year of grief and coming to terms with regrets
Year 2016 The year of change and discovering my purpose in life

This year, I will skip questions that I don't have answers for.

Ask me about year 2017
The year of gratitude and learning about others

1. What did you do in year 2017 that you'd never done before?

On one Friday morning, while queuing for my turn to order my usual breakfast wrap & a cup of hot chocolate from San Francisco I had an impromptu urge to book a return flight ticket to Jakarta. During then, I stayed alone in Malaysia. My family resides in Europe and my boyfriend was working in Jakarta. I traveled a lot and so I had my passport with me at all times. After grabbing my breakfast orders, I went into office and booked the return tickets for departure in the same evening.

Straight after work, I boarded the last plane to Jakarta. No change of clothes, no baggage, nothing, just my passport and I. It cost me RM600 for those flight tickets but it was worth it. I was having a really tough time and couldn't stand being alone that weekend. I needed the mental break, it was good for my soul.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

4. Did anyone close to you die?

5. What countries did you visit?

I visited Bangkok, Jakarta (many, many, many times in the same year), Japan, Taiwan, Bulgaria, England & Spain.

6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?

7. What dates from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

27 December - dinner at El Nacional, experiencing how locals sit and enjoy their tapas with my family.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I learned how to say no, to ask for what I want and to confront conflicts in the most proper yet assertive manner.

9. What was your biggest failure?

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Spur of the moment return tickets to Jakarta (a normal advance return ticket from Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta costs RM200+/- whereas these tickets cost me RM600+/-) yet it was still the best, just imagine how much I needed it.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?

I was highly impressed by an intern named Kenji. 

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled?

14. Where did most of your money go?

Travel! Between my boyfriend and I, we split the costs of our travels and I tend to buy experiences instead of material things as gifts. 

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Christmas - that time of the year I get to unwind and meet my family. 

16. What song will always remind you of 2017?

Despacito 

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner of fatter? (c) richer or poorer?

Happier, thinner, richer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Reading.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Worrying.

20. How did you spend your Christmas?

With my family in Spain - Madrid & Barcelona. 

21. Did you fall in love in 2017?

Yes, I did again and again since 21st July 2011.

22. What was your favourite TV program?

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? 

24. What was the best book you read?

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

26. What did you want and get?

Embarking on e-commerce.

27. What did you want and not get?

28. What was your favourite film of this year?

Wonder Woman. 

29. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

The bond I've created with a few individuals.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?

31. What kept you sane?

"Who" kept me sane is always more accurate. My family, boyfriend & Ee Lyn.

32. Which celebrity/ public figure did you fancy the most?

33. What political issue stirred you the most?

34. Who did you miss?

My beloved late grandmother.

35. Tell us a valuable lesson you learned in 2016.

I learned that every one of us have our own values, goals and motives. We cannot expect another person to share the same as us. We cannot force them to act in accordance to what we believe is right either. Also, trusting another is a risk we need to take and there is no trust that cannot be broken. All in all, I learned to believe in standing up to our own values and at the same time, take into consideration what makes another comfortable enough to make things work for all parties.

36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

There can be miracles
When you believe
Though hope is frail
It's hard to kill
Who knows what miracles
You can achieve
When you believe
Somehow you will
You will when you believe

Happy New Year 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment